Search

December 10, 2010

All In The Timing

This post follows on the heels of a conversation I had with my parents.

I felt guilty for not having talked to them in some time so I rang the house and talked to my mother, mainly about how finals were going and then about the EPL. Towards the end of our conversation, I mentioned that I had started this blog, think she would find it cool. Instead the news was treated with trepidation and questions like "can't you do the same thing on Twitter or a fan forum?" Next I spoke with my father, where the topics include school, law school and my living situation. I decided to see what he thought of this blog and his reaction was much the same. "Be careful what you put out there on the internet! It'll come back to haunt you during a job interview!"

Now I am not upset with my parents. I understand that technology and, in particular, "the Internet," makes them uneasy in a way that I will never know and that they mean well with their concerns. But it got me thinking "is our generation's refusal to compromise or limit  self-expression truly reckless or is this just the different perspective of those who have more to lose?" Maybe the whole wikiLeaks thing has everyone on edge as they realize that the concept of an "internet" and secrecy are mutually exclusive.

I think this picture sums it up best:

No comments:

Post a Comment